Sunday, April 21, 2013

Age of Empires Online: A Remake of a Classic

I remember, as a child, staying up all night on my Windows 98 playing Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome Expansion. And it wasn't even the whole game: it was the demo that came with Windows 98. Yet, I loved it. I played it hours upon hours, building my empire, crushing foes, and accumulating wealth.

The gameplay was simple, yet the strategy required to win was pure beauty.

In short, it was my first Age of Empires game, and I loved it.

Now, about 6 years later, I'm on Steam and I see Age of Empires Online. So this is what Microsoft has been up to.


In short, I love this game. Despite the bugginess of the Windows Live Game Marketplace and the poor integration with Xbox Live, I still love it. I love the fact that it is ready for download on Steam, and I love the fact that nothing much about the gameplay has changed.

But certain things have, the most prominent being the graphics: a new cartoony style that somewhat resembled Team Fortress 2. Many things have changed and labeling this game as a traditional "Real Time Strategy" is not adequate. To sum things up, the video below showcases how this game is a mix of Farmville, World of Warcraft, and the original Age of Empires games.



So in conclusion  this game is something I'm currently enjoying. Maybe its because I'm still Level 4, and in bliss over the nostalgia. Maybe this game going to be one of those "Pay to win" free to play games.

But as for now, I'm enjoying it, and many of its new social features.




No comments:

Post a Comment